The Sentek Landscape Solution
Viable & Healthy
Councils and public areas
Effective management of soil moisture and salinity plays a fundamental role in maintaining viable and healthy landscapes. For the golf course superintendant or public area grounds keeper, Sentek Landscape Solutions provide vital information to maintain their turf or garden in a viable, healthy state without using too much water or wasting fertilizer.
Proven benefits include:
- Improved playability of turf - soil moisture is a key component of the playability of turf, affecting both the grass health and the softness of the soil.
- Consistency of growth - effective management of soil moisture and salinity avoids under or over watering, minimising "dry" or "wet" spots, and improving the overall consistency.
- Plant quality, appearance and health - maintaining optimum water content within the soil profile ensures optimum growth and plant health. Monitoring soil moisture down the profile on a near-continuous basis allows us to detect the onset of plant stress due to either too little or too much water.
- Water savings - understanding how much water is in the profile and where it is moving within the profile enables effective management of water applications to apply only the precise amount of water to meet the plant needs.
- Reduced labour, energy, fertilizer applications and mowing - controlling plant growth through controlling soil moisture conditions ensures that excessive growth is avoided, reducing labour and maintenance costs. In addition, over-watering is avoided, and the resultant leaching of excess nutrients and wastage of fertilizer.
- Reduced environmental footprint - avoiding leaching of nutrients into groundwater and use of excess water
- Record keeping - monitoring enables you to keep track of effective management practices and provides a continual learning process. It also helps new staff adopt best management practices when there is a change in personnel.
- Compliance - many public landscape areas are irrigated with recycled water. Monitoring enables tracking of water movement and ensures that the irrigation is conducted to meet all regulatory compliances.
- Facilitate positive stakeholder communications - providing transparency of data and management practices can create a positive public opinion, particularly in areas of high environmental sensitivity or where there are multiple stakeholders utilising the same resource.