The Sentek Research Solution
Insights for research in...
"Unlocking the secrets to the soil water plant atmosphere continuum"
Undisturbed installation ... Profiling measurement ... High resolution measurement ... Scientific Credibility ... the essential ingredients in soil moisture measurement.
Sentek Research Solutions provides not only precision measurement, but also the tools and software to convert data into information; triggering insights and knowledge.
Sentek Research Solutions provide insights in ...
- root activity / root architecture
- response to drought
- response to soil water dynamics
- response to climate change
- crop / rootstock / genotype comparisons
- controlling the soil water environment
- water logging
- water movement to depth
- measurement techniques
- ground truthing
- model verification and input / enhancement
- provision of teaching tools
- crop water use / ET / Kc
- linking water content to carbon models
- management strategies for water scarcity and food security
- determining optimum water management strategies
Advantages of Sentek Research Solutions
- Proven research solution - rigorously tested and validated by the global scientific community, with over 21 years of data collection and experience.
- Profiling technology - allows for measurement at multiple depths with the one device. Precise installation tools and techniques ensure the soil being measured remains undisturbed.
- Measurement of soil water & salinity - understanding the temporal and spatial changes in salinity and moisture provide insights into the complex interactions between soil water, solutes and the plant.
- Fully field serviceable - Sentek probes are fully serviceable in the field. Sensor positions can be adjusted as needed and components replaced without affecting the integrity of the data. Each sensor is individually air and water normalised to ensure that if it is replaced on the probe there is no jump in the data.
- Customised sensor depths - each probe can accommodate 16 sensors. The sensors can be a mix of soil water and soil water & salinity sensors. If required for deep installations: two probes can be combined in one probe module providing 32 profiling sensors. Sensors can be placed at any 10 cm depth increment along the probe rod and readily shifted in-field if required.
- Option for deep installations - individual probe lengths range from 30 cm to 2 metres and several 2 metre probe modules can be combined to provide a depth of any where from 4 metres to 30 metres.
- Site and data integrity - Sentek probes are installed using carefully designed tools and extensively tested and validated methods. This ensures there is a very good fit between the access tube and the soil, with no air gaps and no damage to the surrounding profile. Proper installation in undisturbed soil provides assurance of good quality data by preserving a native and natural soil condition within the entire zone of influence of the sensor.
- High data resolution - Sentek soil moisture sensors have a very high data resolution, with changes in moisture of >0.01 mm able to be detected. This fine resolution is of particular importance when understanding soil water plant uptake patterns or tracking movement of water through the profile. Frequent sampling intervals allows for the real-time monitoring of these changes.
- Site calibration - each individual sensor on a probe contains a factory default calibration equation, providing an estimate of soil water content. This equation is fairly robust, however for increased accuracy, site specific calibration equations can be applied to each sensor depth, according to soil properties at that site.
- Reliability - Sentek products have a proven reliability with long life expectancy. Many probes that were originally commissioned more than 18 years ago are still in use today. Sentek sensors continue to operate and produce soil water dynamics even under conditions of very high salinity (>20 dS/m) and will provide high resolution data across the full range of water content, from oven dry to saturation.
- Ultimate flexibility - Sentek provides a diverse range of products to suit different applications, from fully portable devices to various logging and telemetry options. There is a clear upgrade path across the entire product range. In addition, Sentek's probe technology is capable of integrating with a range of third party data loggers, radio telemetry devices, weather stations, GPRS and Satellite communication modules and irrigation controllers.
- Powerful, dedicated software that converts data into valuable knowledge - IrriMAX has been developed by experienced soil water specialists for display of and understanding soil water and salinity dynamics. It is a powerful tool to graphically relate soil water and salinity data to the ever changing soil water plant atmosphere continuum, providing knowledge and insights. Graphical interpretation can then be readily converted to numerical analysis for final validation of theories and concepts.